Sunday, November 05, 2006

Non-knitted FOs and Knitting WIPs--Take 2

Take 2 because I had this post 3/4 of the way done and the power went out. *twitch* Of course I had not saved a draft.
Let's start with a non-knitted FO. I finished this TATTED doily about five years ago, but I didn't get the ends woven in until a few weeks ago. Since I started the FiberArts Club, I now have a couple more experienced tatters from whom to get ideas. The method one tatter showed me for weaving in the ends was much better than the method which I had tried previously. This doily does not have decorative picots; the only picots were those used to join the chains and rings together.

You can see from this closeup that the lack of decorative picots makes the doily look like it is made of cording. I think it's beautiful and a good example of why someone would want to tat. This is the photo on the homepage of the FiberArts club.

This is the monthly dishcloth knitalong project for November. It's a turkey. I think we have one more day of rows before he's done.

This is ds's Sherwood sweater from the Fall issue of Knitty. I have finished the body and the braided rib pattern on the sleeve. Now it's just ribbing till the sleeve is finished. Then I have to do another sleeve. *sigh*

Here is a closer pic of the braided rib pattern.

The sweater project also inspired this:
My larger interpretation of the GoKnit pouch. The sweater had gotten large enough that I could no longer stuff it into my GoKnit pouch so I totally copied it and made an identical bag only larger and from not as good quality ripstop nylon. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my GoKnit pouch and probably would have bought the bigger version if I weren't an incredibly impatient person. Once I found out they had ripstop nylon at Joann's, I was there buying it and all the notions necessary to replicate the pouch in the larger version. Now my GoKnit pouch can move onto a smaller--and more appropriate to its size--project: extreme knitting socks knitted one inside the other (doubleknitting method) as described in the Extreme Knitting article in the Fall Knitty.

And here's a closeup of the extreme socks with my new toy, a Norwegian knitting thimble.

I'm actually using the same yarn for both socks, but I didn't stress about trying to get perfectly matching stripes. I figured for this project, it would be easier if the yarns didn't match up perfectly so I can clearly see which yarn I need to knit each stitch, especially since I'm learning a whole new technique with this doubleknitting thing.