Thursday, September 28, 2006

Yes, there has been knitting this summer.

Three pairs of socks, a purse, a sweater and some cell phone cozies.


This pair is the basic sock pattern in Cat Bordhi's "Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles." In retrospect, I didn't really need this book and I find it annoying that she doesn't give more detailed instruction on some things. I think she fibbed on one of her socks too; I swear the winged foot socks look like they have a short-row heel in the picture, but the instructions are for a heel-flap. Anyway, I really liked the pattern. This is actually the second pair I made from this pattern. Imagine these in stripes of pink, blue, and green instead of red, yellow, and blue. I gave that pair to my mom before taking a picture. What was I thinking? I hadn't originally intended them for her, but they turned out a little small for me.



These are from a Leisure Arts publication, "Learn to Knit Socks," available at your local Joann's probably. The pattern is This Little Pinky. There's a bit of a lacy thing going on in the leg. This is the pair the first of which was pictured in an entry back in June. I constructed them totally differently. The first was a traditional, cuff down, heel flap pattern. On the second one I started at the toe and did "Cat's turned toe" from SSOTCK, worked the foot normally to the heel, taught myself to do a short-row heel with the help of an online tutorial, then worked up the leg and used kind of an invisible, almost kitchener stitch-like bind off. I don't know what the official name for the bind off is, but I found it on knittinghelp.com.


This is Lucy Bag #5. I still haven't located #1. This is the one from Paton's Classic that I intended to replace #1 since I can't find it.



These are cell phone cozies. I adapted a pattern from a kids knitting book. Then I adapted it further to start from an invisible cast on and knit it in the round rather than flat with seamed sides. Don't like seaming. The yarn is Knitpicks Memories in Red Hat. I specifically picked this colorway because I intend these to be sold at the extension homemakers' holiday festival this year, and lots of the extension homemakers are Red Hat ladies. Other members of the extension chorus are making more of these in other colors and also in crochet instead of knit.




And the sweater. I liked this pattern. It was in a little Paton's ad booklet in Vogue last fall or winter. The pattern called for Paton's Divine, but I used Joann's Sensations Angel Hair. It turned out ok. It's very warm so it will be more of a jacket type sweater for wearing outside this fall rather than a cozy wearing around the house sweater. I learned that I really don't like seaming. I will either stick to in the round sweaters or adapt them for minimal seaming. I just need a little more experience. I could not have made up the adapting as I went along because this yarn did not frog well. Trust me.

No comments: